As nature photographers we have too often been shocked at the degradation of special places. Too many people crowding, over time or at one time, trampling, diminishing the very place they went to experience, seeking quiet, a wildlife encounter, or perhaps a vision of the primitive world that now exists mostly in our imaginations.
We have joined with Nature First to show our commitment to do more than exploit the natural world for our pleasure. For many years we have passed on a photo opportunity if it put wildlife in any kind of danger. It doesn’t have to be overt danger, causing any living being to react to your presence causes harm. Survival is no easy thing and wildlife spends considerable energy just surviving, disturb them and that creature is now possibly in peril.
The Nature First Principles
- Prioritize the well-being of nature over photography.
- Educate yourself about the places you photograph.
- Reflect on the possible impact of your actions.
- Use discretion if sharing locations.
- Know and follow rules and regulations.
- Always follow Leave No Trace principles and strive to leave places better than you found them.
- Actively promote and educate others about these principles